English as a Second Language
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) ACTFL is dedicated to the improvement and expansion of the teaching and learning of all languages at all levels of instruction. ACTFL's mission is providing vision, leadership and support for quality teaching and learning of languages.
- California Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (CATESOL) CATESOL is open to anyone concerned with the teaching of English as a second or foreign language, standard English as a second dialect, or bilingual education. CATESOL is an association of professionals advancing the quality of English language teaching and learning through professional development, research, standards, and advocacy.
- Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers (CASLT) CASLT's vision is to provide excellence in teaching languages. CASLT fosters and advances professional excellence in the teaching of languages in Canada. CASLT supports its members by promoting the advancement of language learning and teaching throughout Canada, by creating opportunities for professional development, by initiating and disseminating research, and by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas among language educators.
- Center for Adult English Language Acquisition (CAELA) CAELA helps states build their capacity to promote English language learning and academic achievement of adults learning English. CAELA: 1) Leads an initiative to build state capacity for improving the skills of teachers and administrators in adult ESL programs, 2) Develops a repository of resources accessible through the CAELA site, 3) Produces easily accessible materials, 4) Develops training material, and 5) Provides technical assistance to adult ESL teachers, programs, and states.
- Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO) CALICO is dedicated to research and development in the use of computer technology in language learning: computer-assisted language learning (CALL), and in second language acquisition. CALICO publishes a thrice-yearly publication, CALICO Journal, devoted to the dissemination of research in the use of technology in language learning.
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) IATEFL's mission is to link, develop and support English Language Teaching professionals worldwide. IATEFL publishes the magazine IATEFL Voices and hosts the Annual International Conference with an extensive programme of talks and workshops.
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) Since 1975, NABE works to advocate for educational equity and excellence for bilingual/multilingual students in a global society. NABE’s priorities include: improving instructional practices for linguistically and culturally diverse children; providing bilingual educators with more high-quality professional development opportunities; securing adequate funding for programs; and keeping the rights of language-minority Americans clearly in focus.
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) NCTE is devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education. NCTE promotes the development of literacy, the use of language to construct personal and public worlds and to achieve full participation in society, through the learning and teaching of English and the related arts and sciences of language.
- Teachers of English as a Second Language - Canada (TESL Canada) TESL Canada is a federation of English as a Second Language teachers, learners and learner advocates. TESL Canada's mission is to promote excellence in the teaching and learning of English as a second or additional language in partnership with its constituent provincial and territorial associations, and like-minded national and international organizations.
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages International Association (TESOL) TESOL is an association of professionals advancing the quality of English language teaching through professional development, research, standards, and advocacy. TESOL's core values include: 1) professionalism demonstrated by excellence in standards, research, and practice that improve learning outcomes, 2) respect for diversity, multilingualism, multiculturalism, and individuals’ language rights, 3) integrity guided by ethical and transparent action, and 4) commitment to life-long learning.
Most recent job openings in English as a Second Language from HigherEdJobs:
Academic360 has partnered with HigherEdJobs.com to provide additional resources for our job seekers. Listed below are the most recent job postings from HigherEdJobs.com for this discipline.
English as a Second Language (Posted 07/20/18)
University of North Georgia
English and Literature (Posted 07/19/18)
University of South Florida
St. Petersburg, FL
English as a Second Language (Posted 07/19/18)
College of Lake County
Additional Resources for Faculty Positions in English as a Second Language:
- Comprehensive web sites for faculty and administrative job opportunities:
- Human Resources listings from individual colleges and universities: