English as a Second Language
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) ACTFL is a national organization dedicated to the improvement and expansion of the teaching and learning of all languages at all levels of instruction. ACTFL is an individual membership organization of more than 9,000 foreign language educators and administrators from elementary through graduate education, as well as government and industry.
- California Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (CATESOL) CATESOL is a nonprofit organization open to anyone concerned with the teaching of English as a second or foreign language, standard English as a second dialect, or bilingual education. CATESOL members include classroom teachers at all levels, instructors in teacher training programs, university students, aides, and administrators in California and Nevada. Its mission is to promote excellence in education for English language learners and a high quality professional environment for their teachers.
- Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers (CASLT) CASLT promotes the advancement of second language learning and teaching throughout Canada by creating opportunities for professional development, by encouraging research, and by facilitating the sharing of information and the exchange of ideas among second language educators. The CASLT mission fosters and advances professional excellence in the teaching of second languages in Canada.
- Center for Adult English Language Acquisition (CAELA) CAELA’s mission is to help states build their capacity to improve the skills of teachers and administrators in adult English as a second language (ESL) programs.
- Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO) CALICO is a professional organization that serves a membership involved in both education and technology. CALICO has an emphasis on language teaching and learning but reaches out to all areas that employ the languages of the world to instruct and to learn. CALICO is a recognized international clearinghouse and leader in computer assisted learning and instruction. It is a premier global association dedicated to computer-assisted language learning (CALL).
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) IATEFL's mission is to link, develop and support English Language Teaching professionals throughout the world. Founded in the UK in 1967, it now has over 3,500 members in 100 different countries throughout the world.
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) NABE is a professional organization devoted to representing both English language learners and bilingual education professionals. NABE represents a combined membership of more than 20,000 bilingual and English-as-a-second-language teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals, university professors and students, researchers, advocates, policymakers, and parents.
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) NCTE is devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education. The Council promotes the development of literacy, the use of language to construct personal and public worlds and to achieve full participation in society, through the learning and teaching of English and the related arts and sciences of language.
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Inc. (TESOL) TESOL is a global association for English language teaching professionals. Its mission is to develop and maintain professional expertise in English language teaching and learning for speakers of other languages worldwide. TESOL encompasses a network of approximately 60,000 educators worldwide, consisting of more than 14,000 individual members and an additional 45,000 educators within the 100 plus TESOL affiliate associations.
- TESL Canada TESL Canada Federation is a national organization dedicated to advancing communication and coordinating awareness of issues for those concerned with English as a second language and English skills development. The organization promotes advocacy for ESL learners, unifies teachers and learners by providing a forum and network capabilities, supports the sharing of knowledge and experiences across Canada, and represents diverse needs and interests in TESL nationally and internationally.
Most recent job openings in English as a Second Language from HigherEdJobs:
Academic360 has partnered with HigherEdJobs.com to provide additional resources for our job seekers. Listed below are the most recent job postings from HigherEdJobs.com for this discipline.
English as a Second Language (Posted 11/20/17)
Community College of Baltimore County
English as a Second Language (Posted 11/17/17)
College of Western Idaho
English as a Second Language (Posted 11/17/17)
Durham Technical Community College
Additional Resources for Faculty Positions in English as a Second Language:
- Comprehensive web sites for faculty and administrative job opportunities:
- Human Resources listings from individual colleges and universities: