- Position Type:
Student Support Services/Deaf/Hard of Hearing
Northwest AEA - website
Job Purpose/Summary: Facilitate communication for children that are Deaf/Hard of Hearing through the use of sign language.
Essential Functions/Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide interpreting services to students using appropriate signing systems.
- Serve as a multidisciplinary team member at IEP meetings.
- Provide related assistance to the teacher when appropriate.
- Provide for in-service training to new teachers regarding interpreter roles and responsibilities.
- Facilitate communication (sign to voice and voice to sign) for deaf and hard of hearing students in all classroom activities, appropriately conveying expressions, gestures, inflections, and assuring proper positioning in the classroom.
- Follow Local Educational Agency (LEA) building procedures, classroom schedules, and sign language system designated by district.
- Use time efficiently to review text, lesson plans, etc.
- Develop student independence by directing all their questions to the teacher unless otherwise instructed by the classroom teacher.
- Conduct sign language classes for hearing students as assigned.
- Assume tutorial duties when under direction of the classroom teacher and when student’s interpreting needs are not compromised.
- Adjust for distractions such as make-up, jewelry, clothing, and lighting.
- Adhere to the Iowa Department of Education rules, IDEA Part B and C statute regulations, and Northwest AEA policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma
- Interpreter license
- Hearing acuity to accurately sign instruction for students.
- Continuous use of arms, hands and body language for ASL signing for hearing impaired students.
- Sitting or standing for extended length of time in classroom setting.